Recipe by JamesDean'sGirl
Wonderful for Valentine's Day or a special brunch. Serve warm, dusted with powdered sugar and a scoop of vanilla ice cream--yummy!
Top Review by Kris.scott
This was an adequate recipe for muffins. I'm not sure that the final outcome is quite worth all of the steps. I spent at least half an hour on just prep. I'll might use the struesel topping on a different muffin.
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons ground almonds
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 dash salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, chilled
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk, at room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted and cooled (5 1/3 Tbsp.)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten,at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3⁄4 cup cherry pie filling
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- Grease 6 jumbo muffin cups, or line with jumbo paper liners.
- STREUSEL: In a small bowl, stir together the flour, almonds, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- Cut the butter into 1/2" cubes and distribute evenly over the flour mixture; cut butter in until mixture is crumbly.
- Set aside.
- MUFFINS: In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, stir together the milk, melted butter, egg, vanilla, and almond extracts.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; add the milk mixture and stir just until combined.
- Do not overmix.
- Divide a little less than 1/2 the batter amongst the prepared muffin cups, spreading to cover bottoms.
- Place 1 Tbsp. of pie filling in the center of each cup, being careful to avoid the sides of the cup.
- Set aside 1/2 cup of the streusel; sprinkle remainder over the pie filling.
- Cover with remaining batter, top each with another 1 Tbsp. of pie filling; sprinkle remaining streusel over tops.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until tops are lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in a"batter" section comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack before inverting; cool completely.
- Serve warm, or cool completely and store wrapped airtight in the refrigerator.
- Bring to room temperature before serving.