Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
When you want pie, but don’t have the time to make one.
Top Review by newspapergal
These were easy and tasty -- but they need two cans of pie filling. Perhaps it was the brand I chose, but there weren't enough cherries to cover it all well. I'd definitely make these again; I sent them to the deer woods with DH for his uncles, and they were a hit.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package vanilla cake mix
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1 1⁄4 cups quick-cooking oats, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 1⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°; position oven rack in middle of oven; spray the bottom only of a 13x9 inch metal baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, combine cake mix, 6 tablespoons melted butter, and 1 cup of the oats with a wooden spoon until well blended ( mixture will be crumbly); reserve 1 cup of crumb mixture.
- Stir the egg into the remaining mixture until blended; press into the bottom of prepared pan.
- Pour cherry pie filling over the crust; spread evenly.
- In a bowl combine the reserved cake mixture, remaining ¼ cup oats, remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter, brown sugar, and pecans until blended; sprinkle evenly over cherry pie filling.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until filling is bubbly and topping is golden; transfer to wire rack and cool completely.
- Cut into bars.