I got this recipe from my sister-in-law when I got married and my husband's aunt had a cherry tree. It is our favorite! Prep time does not include the time it takes to pit the cherries or make the pie crust. ;) I use the Pie Crust recipe in the Fanny Farmer Baking Book. Homemade Pie Crust is the recipe for 2 8-inch crust. (I've found I have to refrigerate it for the pie filling to firm up and not be "soupy" when it has cooled. Once it has completely chilled, you can store it at room temperature and it doesn't lose its firmness. Or, store it in the fridge and warm it in the microwave a little bit before serving it with ice cream or whipped cream if desired.)
- Mix ingredients for filling.
- Place in pastry-lined pie pan.
- Put top crust on. Cut vent slits in top crust, and flute edges.
- Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 425°F for 25 minutes, reduce heat to 350°F and bake for 25-30 minutes more.
- TIP: put sugar, flour and cinnamon in a large zip-loc bag. Add the cherries and toss to coat. This coats them more even than doing it in a bowl and the filling is firmer.