Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
I made 2 of these pies to take to a potluck at work. None was left to take home. I got many compliments on it. This is from a 1973 Betty Crocker cookbook. Prep time does not include making the pie crust.
- 1 pastry for double crust 10 inch pie
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 (1 lb) canspitted red tart cherries, drained or 4 cups fresh red tart cherries, washed and pitted
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Prepare pastry.
- Stir together sugar and flour; mix with cherries.
- Turn into pastry-lined pie pan; sprinkle with almond extract and dot with butter.
- Cover with top crust, which has slits cut in it for venting; seal and flute.
- Cover edge with 2 to 3 inch strip of aluminum foil, to prevent excessive browning; remove foil last 15 minutes of baking.
- Bake 10 inch pie 40 to 50 minutes or until crust is brown and juice begins to bubble through slits in crust.