Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
My grandmother used to make these at holiday time. Yield is a guess.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1⁄3 cup chopped maraschino cherry, well drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely crushed corn flakes cereal
- 15 maraschino cherries, quartered, drained
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease cookies sheets.
- In large bowl, combine sugar, shortening, milk, vanilla, and eggs; beat well.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pecans, dates, and 1/3 cup chopped cherries; mix well.
- Cover dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled for easier handling, if desired.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls into cereal; thoroughly coat.
- Form into balls; place 2-inches apart on greased cookie sheets.
- Press maraschino cherry piece into top of each ball.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until light golden brown.