Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Found this recipe in an old cookbook my mom had called: Our Best Cooky Recipes, she used to always make them for the holidays every year. A very good bar cookie, good to give as gifts too.
- 3⁄4 cup Crisco, melted
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 8 egg whites
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour, sifted
- 1 1⁄2 cups pecans, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups candied cherries, chopped
- Beat egg whites until frothy.
- Add sugar, salt, and vanilla; beat until mixture forms soft peaks.
- Add flour and blend well.
- Mix Crisco and butter until smooth.
- Fold in pecans and cherries.
- Pour into two greased 9x9 inch pans. (or you can use muffin or mini-muffin pans).
- Bake for 40 min at 350 degrees, then let cool.
- Cut into bars.
- *Holiday version: use 1 jar each of red and green candied cherries.