Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup fresh mango (*1 large mango will give you 1 cup of fruit.) or 1 cup canned mango, diced (mangoes in juice are available at many supermarkets in the produce section)
- 1⁄4 cup mangoes or 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 cups carrots, pared, shredded
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
- 2 teaspoons ginger, ground
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup dried cherries, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened (1 1/5 sticks)
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- Heat oven to 350°F
- Butter and flour two 9-inch cake pans.
- In large mixer bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at time; beat well.
- Add mangoes and mango juice. Beat until light and fluffy.
- In another bowl, combine flour and dry ingredients.
- Add to creamed butter mixture and mix well.
- Stir in cherries and pecans.
- Divide batter between the two cake pans.
- Bake until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove cakes from oven; let cool 10 minutes.
- Loosen edges of cake and invert onto cooling racks. Cool completely.
- Make Cherry Frosting. In small saucepan, heat cream and cherries over medium heat until cherries are very soft, about 3 minutes.
- Cool mixture 5 minutes.
- Stir in vanilla and rum.
- Cool in refrigerator about 15 minutes.
- In large mixer bowl, cream butter and cream cheese until light.
- Beat in cooled cherry mixture.
- Gradually beat in sugar until creamy.
- Place one layer of cake on serving plate. Spread with frosting.
- Top with second cake layer and frost tip and sides of cake.