Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Traditional cherry pancakes from Zurich
- 4 cups bread, small stale pieces
- 2 cups hot milk
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup almonds, ground
- 2 cups black cherries, pitted, well drained
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- Break the stale bread into small pieces and then measure.
- Add the hot milk. Sitir, and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Press out the excess milk. Beat well until smooth. Add the egg yolks, sugar, cinnamon, ground almonds and black cherries. Blend well.
- Fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Drop the batter by tablespoons into the hot melted butter. Brown pancakes on each side.
- Sprinkle with sugar before serving.
These were really tasty, and my kids really loved them. I had to use tinned cherries as fresh ones are not available right now. I did have trouble with cooking the pancakes though, as they just kept falling apart. After several failed attempts, I greased a couple of muffin pans, and added about 2TB of mixture to each cup. I baked them at 200C for about 15-20 minutes. I then let them stand for 5 minutes before turning them out onto the bench. They worked perfectly that way! I topped them with a little butter and a sprinkling of sugar. Thanks for sharing this recipe! Made for ZWT7-Switzerland. (Vicacious Violets)