Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
Grated orange peel spices this eye catching lattice top cherry pie. Great for picnic's, family occasions or even potlucks. Land-o-Lakes Cookbook.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 4 -5 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 (16 ounce) cansred tart pitted cherries, drained
- 1 teaspoon orange peel, grated
- milk, for brushing
- sugar, for dusting
- heat oven to 400*F.
- in large bowl stir together 2 cups flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt. cut in butter until crumbly. with fork mix in water until flour is moistened.
- divide dough in half and shape into 2 balls and flatten.
- wrap 1 ball in plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- on lightly floured surface roll out other ball into 12" circle.
- place in a 9" pie pan. trim pastry to 1/2" from rim of pan, set aside.
- in large bowl combine sugar 1/3 cup flour and pinch of salt. add cherries and orange peel, toss lightly to coat and spoon into prepared crust.
- with remaining pastry ball prepare lattice top
- Lattice Top:.
- roll pastry into 11' circle.
- with sharp knife or pastry wheel, cut circle into 10 (1/2inch strips).
- place 5 strips 1inch apart, across filling in pie pan.
- place remaining 5 strips 1inch apart at right angles to the strips already in place.
- with kitchen shears, trim strips.
- fold trimmed edge of bottom pastery over strips, build up an edge. seal; flute edge as desired.
- brush strips with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- cover edge of crust with 2inch strip of aluminum foil.
- bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling bubbles in the center.
- if desired, remove aluminum foil durning last 5 minutes of baking.
- if browning too quickly shield lattice strips with aluminum foil.