Recipe by Sassy in da South
I was skeptical at first about this recipe but was delighted with its flavour. Also, I use chicken breasts instead of the whole chicken. The crew licked the platter clean with this one.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (4 lb) roasting chickens, cut into 8 pieces
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1 (15 ounce) canpitted dark cherries, packed in water
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 orange, with peel, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper, then coat with flour.
- Fry in the hot oil until browned, turning as needed.
- Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook for about 25 minutes or until meat is tender and juices run clear.
- Remove the chicken from the pan, and pour off all but 1/4 cup of the drippings.
- Return to medium heat and stir in the cherries, reserving some of the cherry liquid for later.
- Stir in sugar and bring to a boil.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in the reserved cherry liquid, then stir into the pan. Cook, stirring gently, until thickened.
- Add orange slices and almonds to the skillet, then return the chicken pieces to the skillet.
- Spoon sauce over the chicken to coat, and simmer over low heat for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.