Recipe by Amber of AZ
This is a tasty recipe I found and adapted from the Busy People's Low-Fat Cookbook by Dawn Hall. It is 4 points if prepared as directed. If you use Splenda the recipe would be 3 points.
- 6 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 (21 ounce) can light cherry pie filling
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar (I prefer using individual packets of Splenda in each individual serving)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring the water and salt to a boil on high heat in a Dutch oven.
- Add the oats.
- Reduce the heat to medium, keep the oats boiling for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the remaining ingredients plus the powdered sugar if preferred.
- Stir until well mixed.
- Cover and let sit for 2 minutes longer.
- Serve while hot.
- This will also keep in the refrigerator to be reheated for additional breakfasts.
- The leftovers could also be used in a bread pudding.