Recipe by Cookin'Diva
This is an easy recipe that uses a cake mix and a jar of fruit preserves. The basic recipe can be easily altered according to your preference. For example, instead of cherry preserves, try chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, or raspberry jam. For lower-fat option, see note at end of instructions.
Top Review by Angel #8
What a great quick, easy, and versatile recipe. I took it to a Church social last night. It was a real hit. I used strawberry preserves. It was so good, I was invited to lunch after Church tomorrow. I have to bring a copy of the recipe. Recipes like this are getting this grandfather known as a good cook. I try to take something different and unique to each social or pot-luck. Last night, one lady asked, "What did Angel bring?" Another replied, "It doesn't matter, you know it'll be good." Thanks!
- 524.46 g white cake mix
- 473.18 ml quick-cooking oats
- 177.44 ml butter, melted
- 236.59 ml cherry preserves
- 14.79 ml water
- 118.29 ml pecans, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375. Prepare a 9x13 pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix, oats and butter until butter has been evenly distributed and entire mixture is crumbly. (See Note #1 at end for directions to make a lower-fat option).
- Press TWO-THIRDS the oat mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- In a separate bowl, mix the preserves with water and spread over the crust. (See Note #2 at end, regarding jam).
- Add pecans to the remaining ONE THIRD oat mixture and crumble this over the top, allowing some of the cherry filling to show through.
- Bake 375 for 28-30 minutes (34-36 minutes if you are doing the lower-fat option), or until the top is lightly browned and the center doesn't collapse when you press lightly.
- For best results, cut into bars after the bars are set and cooled (I like to cover with foil and cut into bars the next day).
- NOTE #1: For lower-fat option, instead of 3/4 cup butter, use 1/2 cup butter and 1/4 cup applesauce.
- NOTE #2: A 10 oz. jar of Smuckers "Simply Fruit" is about 1 cup. Use the whole jar.