Recipe by PaulaG
Scones are great for a wonderful breakfast treat or on lazy weekends. Serve hot from the oven with your choice of spreads. Developed for RSC #12.
Top Review by Elly in Canada
The taste was lovely, sweet cherries, crunchy pecans and a sugary top! I was careful not to work the dough too much, I was a little disappointed they did not rise as much as I expected. I could not find a cherry vanilla yogurt, used a no-fat, no-sugar cherry yogurt. I sprinkled the top with brown sugar. Baking time in my oven was 20 minutes. I enjoyed these scones and will definitely make them again. Congratulations chef! UPDATE 8/30: I made more scones today, I added 1/2 cup cherries and more pecans too, also used demerara sugar for topping, nice and crunchy!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon Splenda granular
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄3 cup low-fat cherry vanilla yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 cup bing cherry, rough chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1⁄3 cup chopped pecans
- 1 egg white, beaten till frothy
- 1 tablespoon demerara sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray or lightly oil; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flours, Splenda, sugar, baking powder, salt and cream of tartar.
- With a pastry blender, cut in the mascarpone cheese and butter; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine egg yolk, yogurt, milk and extract; add the creamed mixture to the flour mixture; mixing until a soft dough forms.
- Sprinkle the 1 tablespoon of flour over the cherries and pecans, toss to coat.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface; knead gently, kneading in additional flour if needed along with cherries and pecans; place the kneaded dough onto prepared pan and pat into a 6 inches circle, cut into eight wedges; brush with egg white; sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm with additional mascarpone cheese if desired.