Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
cherries, almonds, chocolate, and coconut, YUM! from taste of home
- 6 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 cups fresh or frozen pitted dark sweet cherries, thawed and cut into quarters
- 1 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- 1 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 (7 ounce) milk chocolate candy bars, chopped
- In a large saucepan, heat cream over medium heat until bubbles form around sides of saucepan.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the egg yolks, sugar and salt; whisk in a small amount of hot cream.
- Gradually whisk in remaining cream.
- Cook and stir over low heat until the mixture reaches at least 160 and coats te back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat.
- Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes.
- Stir in almond extract.
- Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard.
- Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer's directions.
- Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze.
- Stir the cherries, coconut, almonds and chocolate into the ice cream just until combined.
- Allow to ripen in ice cream freezer or firm up in the refrigerate freezer for 2-4 hours before serving.