Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
A yummy cold weather dessert
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) canspitted tart cherries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 4 -5 drops red food coloring (optional)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 6 tablespoons cold butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- Drain cherries and reserve 3/4 cup of their juice.
- In a mixing bowl, add cherries, 1 cup sugar, tapioca, almond extract, 1/8 teaspoon salt, food coloring and reserved cherry juice; stir to combine; set aside for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, add the crust ingredients together in another bowl; stir to combine.
- Press the crust mixture onto the bottom and 1 inch up the sides of a greased 9-inch square baking dish; set aside.
- In a different bowl, add the flour, brown sugar, pecans, and oats; stir to mix.
- With a pastry blender, cut in the cold butter until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- Stir cherry mixture and pour over crust.
- Sprinkle evenly with topping.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Lower heat to 375 and bake 30-35 minutes or until filling is bubbling and topping is golden.
I have served this many times. It tastes like "more" meaning give me another piece.:)