Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
A PRETTY cookie which will make your cookie tray at Christmas look good! The cherry and nut combination in a buttery base is delicious! A rolled type dough which can be made and baked later. These cookies freeze very well for make ahead plans. This basic cookie dough I have tried many times substituting different ad-ins.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup candied cherry, chopped
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- Mix softened butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla, mixing well.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl and add to creamed mixture. Stir in candied cherries and pecans.
- Shape dough into long rolls about 2 inches in diameter. Wrap in wax paper and chill at least 4 hours. (May be made days ahead before baking and stored in refrigerator or freezer. Let dough thaw slightly before slicing.).
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4 inch slices; place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately 10 minutes.
These look VERY CLOSE to VanDeKamp's shortbread cookies I used to buy in the early 80's at Lucky's.. grocery store now gone. They look great and I plan on making these soon!