Recipe by Caryn
This is one of my most favorite cakes that my mom used to make when I was growing up. I make this cake often as I love the almond flavor with cinnamon sugar topping and each slice is so pretty with the red cherries and nuts.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 box confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup maraschino cherry, drained and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped
- melted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine butter and confectioner's sugar; cream well.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in almond extract.
- Blend in flour mixture alternating with milk.
- Fold in maraschino cherries and nuts.
- Spoon batter evenly into a well-greased and floured tube pan (10" will work but better if a little smaller).
- Bake 55 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes.
- Brush melted butter on the top of the cake and sprinkle with a cinnamon sugar mixture (amount depends on how thick a cinnamon sugar mixture you'd like. I put a lot of butter on top so that I can get a nice layer of cinnamon sugar).
- Cool 20 minutes and carefully remove from pan so as not to disturb your cinnamon sugar topping.
- Cool completely.