Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 fluid ounces buttermilk
- 1 cup chopped pecans or 1 cup walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 2 fluid ounces maraschino cherry juice
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup chopped drained maraschino cherry
- Combine all ingredients, except the cherries, in a mixing bowl.
- Blend on the low speed of an electric mixer 15 seconds; increase to medium speed, and blend for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the cherries.
- Pour the batter into a greased and floured 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 70 to 75 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes in pan, and then remove to wire rack and cool the bread completely.
As I was making this recipe, I realized the mixture was too soupy and determined 1 more cup of flour must be added. Perfection! Perfect for holidays and even if you added some choc chips. I used mini loaf pans and baked for 25 mins at 350. Perfect for holiday gift giving
Really Excelent. I used ground pecans because of a husband that will NOT eat nut chunks. It still worked well and was very tasty and a pretty color.