Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
This came from my favorite magazine, Taste of Home, it is truly delicious! Great for gifts at Christmas!
- 2 cups butter or 2 cups margarine, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 (10 ounce) jars maraschino cherries, drained and chopped
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add egg yolks and vanilla; mix well.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk just until blended (batter will be thick).
- In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Fold into batter.
- Fold in cherries and pecans.
- Transfer to four greased and floured 8-in.
- x 4-in.
- x 2-in.
- loaf pans.
- Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean and loaves are golden brown.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
this recipes looks good for gift giving. any thing with cherries/nuts is always tasty. i've had cherry/nut cakes but not bread. looking forward to trying it. chef 249610