Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
I love making this when I have company. It not only taste good but it looks nice.
- 14.79 ml stick margarine or 14.79 ml butter, melted
- 59.14 ml firmly packed brown sugar
- 236.59 ml pitted sweet cherries
- 473.18 ml thinly sliced nectarines
- 4.92 ml lemon juice
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour, plus
- 29.58 ml all-purpose flour
- 29.58 ml sliced almonds, toasted
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 0.59 ml salt
- 158.51 ml granulated sugar
- 59.14 ml stick margarine or 59.14 ml butter, softened
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 2.46 ml almond extract
- 1 large egg
- 158.51 ml low-fat buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat bottom of a 9 inch round cake pan with melted margarine.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over margarine.
- Place 1 cherry in center of pan; arrange remaining cherries around edge of pan.
- Combine nectarines and lemon juice; toss well.
- Arrange nectarine slices spokelike, working from center cherry to edge of cherries.
- Place flour, almonds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a food processor; process until almonds are ground.
- Set aside.
- Beat 2/3 cup granulated sugar and 1/4 cup margarine at medium speed of a mixer until well blended.
- Add extracts and egg; beat well.
- Add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture; beat well after each addition.
- Slowly pour batter over fruit.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan 5 minutes on a wire rack.
- Loosen cake from sides of pan using a narrow metal spatula.
- Place a large plate upside down on top of cake an, and invert cake onto plate.
- Cut into wedges, and serve warm.