Recipe by rachel ernst
inspiration: Borders Cafe's Cherry Mocha. This hot coffee beverage can be adapted in flavoring. The main idea is non-carb whipped cream, cocoa and coffee. But, the cherry/almond flavor inspired by Borders Cafe is my husband's favorite. This recipe is good for Atkins or non-atkins. You use the sweetener of your choice; I recommend either Splenda or Sugar. By using Splenda or other non-nutritive sweetener, the net carbs (adjusted for fiber) is 3g net carb.
Top Review by Domestic Goddess
This is one of my favorite coffees which I enjoy making! I do however, prefer to make mine with instant coffee such as Maxwell House or Folgers, and I don't add any cream to mine, especially since I top my coffee with either Reddi Wip or Cool Whip. To make a single serving, I use the following amount of ingredients... 8-ounces of water, 1 teaspoon of instant coffee, which I'll either heat in the microwave until it's hot, or I'll heat the water on the stove, than I add the instant coffee to the water. Once that's done, I'll add 1-1/2 teaspoons of Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa Powder (which really makes this coffee taste sooo good), 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar, 1/4 teaspoon of almond extract, 1/4 teaspoon of McCormick's Imitation Cherry Extract, then top the coffee with Reddi Wip and a maraschino cherry. To make 12-ounces of this coffee, I use the following amount of ingredients... 12 ounces of water, 1-1/2 teaspoons of instant coffee, 1/4 teaspoon PLUS an 1/8 teaspoon of almond extract, 1/4 teaspoon PLUS an 1/8 teaspoon of the cherry extract, 2-1/4 teaspoons of the special dark cocoa powder, and 1-1/2 tablespoons of sugar. I did not rate this recipe with stars, as I did not make as written, so I am just posting my review as to how I made the coffee. Rachel, this was a lovely way to enjoy my morning coffee. Thanx so much for posting this recipe!
- 16 ounces coffee (any kind)
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream or 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon flavoring cherry extract (by the vanilla in the grocery)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon flavoring almond extract (by the vanilla in the grocery)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder (the kind for baking)
- 2 tablespoons sweetener Splenda sugar substitute or 2 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- I make large servings which are close to 16 oz. coffee each, so make this in a LARGE mug.
- Multiply the recipe for the number of people you are serving.
- Make the whipped cream while waiting for coffee to brew. In a bowl add all other ingredients (cream, flavorings, sweetener and cocoa). Use an electric mixer to whip the cream until soft peaks form. Do not overwhip as it will quickly turn to butter consistency.
- Put whipping cream mixture in mug. Pour hot coffee over cream and stir. For best results, mix thoroughly.
- If you are making for several people and some people want sugar and some want Splenda, make the whipped cream without the sweetener. Instead, add the 2 Tblsp. sweetener to each cup, as preferred. Pour a little coffee over the sweetener and mix. Then add the cream to each cup. Then fill the mug the rest of the way with hot coffee and stir.