Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Make and share this Cherry Meringue Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 3 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup miniature marshmallow
- 2 1⁄2 cups whipped topping, such as cool whip
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- Preheat oven to 275ºF.
- Cut a brown paper bag or parchment paper to fit a round pizza pan.
- Place a serving plate on the round-cut paper and draw a circle with a pencil.
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks.
- Crack the egg over a separate bowl.
- There must not be any yolk in the whites or it will not whip correctly.
- By using a separate bowl, you guard against having to toss the whole thing if you have an accident with a yolk.
- Save the yolk for another use.
- Place whites and cream of tartar in mixing bowl and beat with a mixer on high speed until frothy.
- Very gradually, add the sugar in a small stream and beat until the meringue forms and holds stiff peaks.
- Pour onto the middle of the brown paper and with a knife or rubber spatula, shape into a resemblance of a pie pan, pushing meringue up at the edges to form sides.
- Leave a 1-inch border around the edge of the paper, The meringue will expand slightly and you want to ensure it will fit on your serving plate.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 1 and 1/2 hours.
- It should be crispy and browned.
- Turn off oven, open door a notch, and let sit in oven another hour.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before filling.
- Mix the first three ingredients with mixer and then stir in marshmallows.
- Fold in the whipping topping.
- Place a doily on the serving platter.
- Gently lift meringue from paper and place on serving dish.
- If you have trouble separating the meringue from the paper, place it into a hot oven again for just a minute or two.
- It should lift off of the paper easily.
- Spoon the cream mixture into the shell and spread evenly, pushing a little up the sides.
- Pour berry filling on top.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until serving time.
- Variation You can use any flavor of pie filling for this recipe.
- Cover half the pie with blueberries and use cherry on the other to make a great 4th of July dessert.
This was very good. The meringue was wonderful. I brought some to work and it disappeared.