Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a wonderful loaf that tastes better than that which is store bought! The baking time could be anywhere between 1 hour to 1 3/4 hours, so be around to check this to see if its done once an hour is up! This can be frozen, but remember to thaw before serving. Enjoy!
- Wash and dry the cherries and toss them in a little flour in a bowl.
- Line and grease a 1kg loaf tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, one at a time, using an electric mixer on slow, then medium and gradually on high speed, until light and fluffy.
- Add sugar and cream well.
- Then, mix in the margarine, alternating with the flour.
- Add essence and mix well.
- Then, toss in the cherries and mix once again.
- Spoon the prepared cherry loaf mixture into the greased and lined loaf tin evenly.
- Scatter the crushed sugar, if using, on top.
- Bake this in the centre of a moderate oven at 160C or gas-mark 3 for 1 3/4 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the loaf comes out clean.
- Turn out onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- Slice and serve.
This loaf was okay, but there were several things wrong with the method. First of all, the cherries need to be cut in half to avoid them sinking to the bottom of the loaf. Secondly, margarine should not be added to liquid without being creamed first. I substitued butter for better flavour and creamed it first... then gradually added sugar, and lastly eggs. I baked this loaf for exactly one hour and it was brown around the edges and very dry. If baked for 1 and 2/3 hours, it would be cremated! Otherwise, a good-tasting cherry loaf.