Prep 15 mins
Cook 2400 hrs
My mother makes this all the time, she used to test my boyfriends' mettle by offering them some of the liqueur in a small shot glass, with a cherry on the bottom. If they survived the potency of the drink (she would really age it) then she would evilly say, "Bite into the cherry." If they survived that then they were good enough for her daughter.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs red cherries, with pits,no stems
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups sugar, sweeten to taste
- 2 1⁄2 cups vodka
- 1 cup brandy
- Mix vodka, brandy and sugar in a large glass measure or medium mixing bowl; stir well to dissolve.
- Cut each washed cherry slightly to open, leave in pits.
- Place cherries in two sterile, quart wide mouth jars or one larger aging container.
- Pour liquid mixture over cherries; stir and cap with tight lids.
- For the first two weeks, shake jars several times.
- Let age in a cool, dark place for at least 3 months for best flavor.
- Strain off liqueur through a wire mesh strainer and discard cherries.
- Rebottle as desired.
- Liqueur is ready in 3 months.
- VARIATIONS:Almond-Cherry Liqueur: For a more prominent"almond" flavor, pit all or part of the cherries.
- Place cherry pits in a clean cloth and hit with a hammer to break them up slightly.
- Put broken pits and pitted cherries in jars or large container and continue as directed.
- Sugarless Cherry Liqueur: Substitute 1 cup apple juice concentrate, undiluted, for the sugar in the Cherry Liqueur recipe.
- Proceed as directed.
- The"sugars" present will be natural fruit sugars rather than the granulated processed sugars.
- Taste is excellent; aging is the same.
There are some reports that cherry pits contain cyanide, so consider leaving the pits out. This is a GREAT drink without them!
This is so good; pretty to look at and wonderful to taste; if it gets a chance to age for the whole three months it'll be even better!
I make cherry liqueur for my dear friends and relatives. To make bottles more attractive and personal I use http://www.bitlabels.com/red-cherry-liqueur-label Bit Labels service. They are quite flexible and try to meet the wishes of their customers.