Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Easy and tasty sugafree cherry pie for Diabtetics or those counting calories.
Make and share this Cherry Lattice Pie (Diabetic) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 (16 ounce) packagesno-sugar-added frozen cherries, pitted
- 1 3⁄4 cups equal spoonful artificial sweetener or 1 3⁄4 cups Splenda sugar substitute (can also use 12+3/4 teaspoons Equal® for Recipes or 42 packets Equal® sweetener)
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 5 -7 drops red food coloring
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons cold margarine, cut into pieces
- 10 -11 tablespoons ice water
- For Crust: Combine flour and salt in medium bowl; cut in margarine with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Mix in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring lightly with fork after each addition until dough is formed.
- Wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
- For Pie: Thaw cherries completely in strainer set in bowl; reserve 3/4 cup cherry juice.
- Mix Equal® or Splenda®, flour, cornstarch and nutmeg in small saucepan; stir in cherry juice and heat to boiling.
- Boil, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in cherries; stir in food color.
- Roll half of pastry on floured surface into circle 1 inch larger than inverted 9-inch pie pan; ease pastry into pan.
- Pour cherry mixture into pastry.
- Roll remaining pastry on floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness; cut into 10 to 12 strips, 1/2 inch wide.
- Arrange pastry strips over filling and weave into lattice design.
- Trim ends of lattice strips; fold edge of lower crust over ends of lattice strips.
- Seal and flute edge.
- Bake in preheated 425ºF (220ºC) oven until pastry is browned, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.