Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Easy and tasty sugafree cherry pie for Diabtetics or those counting calories.
Make and share this Cherry Lattice Pie (Diabetic) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 (16 ounce) packagesno-sugar-added frozen cherries, pitted
- 1 3⁄4 cups equal spoonful artificial sweetener or 1 3⁄4 cups Splenda sugar substitute (can also use 12+3/4 teaspoons Equal® for Recipes or 42 packets Equal® sweetener)
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 5 -7 drops red food coloring
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons cold margarine, cut into pieces
- 10 -11 tablespoons ice water
- For Crust: Combine flour and salt in medium bowl; cut in margarine with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Mix in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring lightly with fork after each addition until dough is formed.
- Wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
- For Pie: Thaw cherries completely in strainer set in bowl; reserve 3/4 cup cherry juice.
- Mix Equal® or Splenda®, flour, cornstarch and nutmeg in small saucepan; stir in cherry juice and heat to boiling.
- Boil, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in cherries; stir in food color.
- Roll half of pastry on floured surface into circle 1 inch larger than inverted 9-inch pie pan; ease pastry into pan.
- Pour cherry mixture into pastry.
- Roll remaining pastry on floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness; cut into 10 to 12 strips, 1/2 inch wide.
- Arrange pastry strips over filling and weave into lattice design.
- Trim ends of lattice strips; fold edge of lower crust over ends of lattice strips.
- Seal and flute edge.
- Bake in preheated 425ºF (220ºC) oven until pastry is browned, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.
Being diabetic i am always on the hunt for good diabetic recipes that i can make or have my wife prepare. This cherry pie was really good and had a great taste. Thanks for posting.