Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Adapted from Alton Brown's cookbook, "Feasting on Asphalt", recipe courtesy of Wiles-Smith Drug store in Memphis, TN. Don't be afraid of the vodka. You use a very, very small amount for each shake and it really does help to bring out those alcohol-soluble flavors. Besides, the kids'll sleep better, so might you. Prep time does not include cooling time.
For the syrup
- 2 cups water
- 10 ounces sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cherry extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red food coloring
- 2 teaspoons vodka
For the shake
- 1 quart old-fashioned-style vanilla ice cream
- 1⁄4 cup cherry syrup
- 1⁄4 cup whole milk
- Make the syrup: In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the water.
- and sugar and cook until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat and
- stir in the cherry flavoring, food coloring, and vodka. Let the cherry syrup.
- mixture cool completely before using.
- (This makes about 2 1/2 cups syrup.
- Store leftover syrup, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 6 months).
- Make the shake: In a blender: Combine the ice cream, cherry syrup, and milk. Blend until well combined. Do not over blend or the shake will be too thin. It will be very thick. Divide between 2 glasses and serve immediately with straws.