Prep 45 mins
Cook 35 mins
Wonderful Christmas bars - very colourful and tasty to eat too. These look fantastic on your Christmas platter.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups mixed nuts
- 1 1⁄2 cups halved candied cherries
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- PREHEAT oven to 350 degrees.
- COMBINE flour with 1/3 cup brown sugar. Cut in margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press mixture evenly and firmly onto bottom of ungreased 15 x 10 jelly roll pan or large baking tin. Bake for 15 minutes.
- MEANWHILE, beat egg slightly in large bowl. Stir in remaining 1/3 cup brown sugar and salt. Add nuts cherries and chocolate chips. Toss mixture evenly to coat.
- SPOON this mixture evenly over the baked layer. Press down firmly to adhere layers.
- BAKE an additional 20 minutes.
- COOL and cut into 1 1/2 by 2 inch bars. Do NOT let this cool too much or you will never get them out of the pan in nice pieces.
Really pretty Christmasy square! I used red & green maraschino cherries, as a personal preference. I was skeptical about everything holding together with such few ingredients but it did!
The bars are delicious so thank you Laurasy for posting this. My only problems with the recipe were that my pan was a little bit bigger (2" in length and 1/2" in width) so I decided to stop short of the end by a few inches just in case but the batter would not reach within 4" of the end and without a guide as to how thick it should be it ended up too thin as a result of trying to stretch it a little more. In retrospect I would use a 9" by 10" pan and make a higher base so it doesn't fall apart as I lift the bars out of the pan. My husband and kids love it though so flavour and appearance-wise its a winner!