1 hr 25 mins
Luby Luby Luby's Note:
This jam tastes like cherry pie and is wonderful on biscuits or toast. I didn't use the Kirsch because I didn't have any, but I will try adding it next time.** It is a pain to pit the cherries, so do yourself a favor and buy a cherry/olive pitter. I bought one made by Oxo for around $12.00 and it was worth every penny. I used my food processor to chop the cherries but be sure not to liquify the cherries - just divide them into batches of three and pulse a few times to coarsely chop. You can use any type of sweet cherry such as Bing or Rainier. **I did make a batch using the Kirsch, however, I don't care for it all. It completely overpowers the flavors so, personally, I don't recommend using the Kirsch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Prepare jars and lids according to the USDA guidelines for preserving foods.
- 2In a large stainless steel or enameled pot combine the chopped cherries, lemon juice, butter and liqueur if using.
- 3Heat over high heat and add powdered pectin and stir until blended.
- 4Bring to a full boil, stirring constantly.
- 5Add sugar all at once and return to a rolling boil, stirring constantly.
- 6Boil for 1 minute and remove from heat.
- 7Add the almond extract mixing well.
- 8Skim off any foam and let sit for 5 minutes, stirring every minute.
- 9Ladle into hot jars, leaving about 1/4" headspace.
- 10Wipe rims with a damp cloth.
- 11Fit lids on jars and screw the bands on to finger tight being careful not to over-tighten.
- 12Place jars on rack in water bath canner making sure there is 1-2 inches of water over the tops of the jars.
- 13Cover and bring to a boil.
- 14Boil for 10 minutes then turn off fire and remove lid.
- 15Let sit for 5 minutes in water then remove and place upright on a thick kitchen towel to cool.
- 16Check to make sure lids have sealed and store in cool dry area for up to one year.
Browse Our Top Low Protein Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cherry Jam
Serving Size: 1 (2762 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 707.3
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 1.4 mg
- Sodium 18.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 181.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 167.9 g
- Protein 2.1 g