Recipe by Sharon123
An Irish recipe gleaned from Cooking Light!
Top Review by Lalaloula
This was so yummy! The cherries added a great sweet and sour flavour (I used organic golden cherries) and the nuts a nice crunch.
Due to personal preference I left out the sugar completely and really enjoyed the fruity flavour provided by the cherries.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this great recipe with us, Sharon!
Made and reviewed during your cookathon October 2010.
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups steel cut oats
- 2⁄3 cup bing sweet dried cherries, coarsely chopped (or other)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 1⁄4 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted and divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons toasted hazelnut oil (or other oil)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the water,, oats, cherries and salt in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until desired consistency, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in 3 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon nuts, and cinnamon.
- Place 1 cup oatmeal in each of 6 bowls; sprinkle each serving with 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Top each serving with 1 1/2 teaspoon nuts; drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil.