Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a quick, simple way to serve those deliciously sweet cherries when they are in season. It is made entirely on the stovetop, so there is no hot oven involved.
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 2 1⁄2 cups pitted sweet cherries (about 1 lb.)
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream (optional)
- Mix flour, baking powder, 1/2 t. orange zest, and the salt in mixing bowl. Pour in half-and-half and stir quickly to mix.
- Combine cherries, 1 cup water, the sugar, orange juice, and remaining 1/2 t. orange zest in 10-inch skillet. Cover and heat to boiling.
- Drop batter onto cherries, making 6 dumplings. Reduce heat to maintain steady simmer. Cover and cook until toothpick inserted into dumpling comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Serve immediately, with cream, if desired.
This is a pretty basic dessert. I didn't care for the dumpling/biscuit topping but did really like the cherry mixture. We dumped the topping and had the cherry mix on vanilla ice cream ... Excellent!