Recipe by JackieOhNo!
This is a quick, simple way to serve those deliciously sweet cherries when they are in season. It is made entirely on the stovetop, so there is no hot oven involved.
Top Review by MigJ
This is a pretty basic dessert. I didn't care for the dumpling/biscuit topping but did really like the cherry mixture. We dumped the topping and had the cherry mix on vanilla ice cream ... Excellent!
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 2 1⁄2 cups pitted sweet cherries (about 1 lb.)
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix flour, baking powder, 1/2 t. orange zest, and the salt in mixing bowl. Pour in half-and-half and stir quickly to mix.
- Combine cherries, 1 cup water, the sugar, orange juice, and remaining 1/2 t. orange zest in 10-inch skillet. Cover and heat to boiling.
- Drop batter onto cherries, making 6 dumplings. Reduce heat to maintain steady simmer. Cover and cook until toothpick inserted into dumpling comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Serve immediately, with cream, if desired.