Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
One of my husband's co-workers brought this into work. He loved it so much he asked her for the recipe -- it's a quick and easy recipe and I've made it many times to bring to family get-togethers for those with a "sweet tooth". Cooking time does not include chilling time.
- 118.29 ml butter or 118.29 ml margarine, melted
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour
- 78.07 ml unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1.23 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- 226.79 g cream cheese, softened
- 236.59 ml confectioners' sugar
- 236.59 ml Cool Whip, thawed
- 595.33 g cherry pie filling, divided
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom of 9-inch springform pan. In large bowl, stir together butter, sugar and vanilla. Add eggs; using spoon, beat well.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually add to egg mixture, beating until well-blended. Spread into prepared pan.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until cake is set. (Cake will be fudgey; wooden pick inserted in center will not come out clean.) Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- Prepare cream layer as follows: In small mixer bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until well-blended. Fold in whipped topping and spread mixture over top of torte. Spread 1 cup cherry pie filling over cream layer; refrigerate 3 hours. With knife, loosen cake from side of pan; remove side of pan. Serve with some remaining pie filling around each slice of the torte, if desired. Cover and refrigerate leftover torte.
My hubby and I found this recipe in the Hershey's Best Loved Recipes book and were so astounded by the picture, we just had to try it. Presentation wise, this cake is a beauty! As far as taste goes, we found the torte bottom to be a little too distracting from the amazing cherry cheesecake topping. I guess we expected the chocolate portion to taste a little lighter/sweeter in order to blend better with those flavors above, but I'm sure that's just personal preferences on our part. It was still lovely (I'll post our pic), the toppings were delicious, and we enjoyed making it. Thanks for posting!