1/3 Photos of Cherry-Glazed Chicken
1 hr 5 mins
bluemoon downunder's Note:
Another TERRIFIC chicken recipe from Rodale's "Terrific Chicken: 100 Great Meals in Minutes". I haven't tried this one yet but because it's different from the couple of Cherry-Glazed Chicken recipes already posted here, I've decided to share it before making it. It's on my to-be-made-soon list. In the notes included with the recipe, is a recommendation to buy tart or sour pie cherries in a can because regular cherries will be too sweet. An alternative suggestion is to use 2 cups of frozen, unsweetened pitted tart cherries and 1/2 a cup of cherry juice in place of the can of cherries.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 chicken breast halves
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (16 ounce) can pitted tart cherries, drained, 1/2 cup juice reserved
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- 2Rinse the chicken with cold running water and pat dry with paper towels.
- 3Pour the milk into a shallow dish.
- 4Mix the flour, thyme, salt and pepper together on a sheet of waxed paper or a shallow tray.
- 5Dip each piece of chicken into the milk, then coat with the seasoned flour, shaking off the excess.
- 6Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan over a medium-high heat and cook the chicken pieces for 5 minutes on each side or until golden-brown.
- 7As they brown, transfer the chicken pieces to a 13x9-inch baking dish.
- 8When all the chicken has been transferred to the baking dish, cover it with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- 9THE CHERRY SAUCE: Combine the reserved cherry juice and both sugars in a small saucepan and bring to the boil over a medium heat. Stir in the mustard and cook for a further 5 minutes, or until the sauce thickens slightly. Stir in the cherries. (The sauce will continue to thicken once it bakes.).
- 10After the chicken has baked for 30 minutes, uncover it, and spoon the hot cherry sauce over it.
- 11Bake, uncovered for a further 15 minutes, or until the chicken is tender and the juices run clear.
- 12Serve over rice or noodles with steamed green vegetables.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cherry-Glazed Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (202 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 310.7
- Calories from Fat 109
- Total Fat 12.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 49.2 mg
- Sodium 67.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 22.9 g
- Protein 17.4 g