Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
"A sweet frosting with a hint of lemon complements these little spice cakes, each baked with a maraschino cherry in the center." Submitted to Taste of Home by Laura McAllister.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup molasses
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 24 maraschino cherries, well drained
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 3⁄4-2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and molasses; mix well.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger and cinnamon; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Stir in walnuts.
- Fill paper lined muffin cups two-thirds full; place a cherry in the center of each.
- Bake at 375 for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth; add vanilla and lemon peel.
- Gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar.
- Frost cupcakes.