Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I discovered the ease of Blueberry Galette recently, and my non-baking self fell in love. When I was overloaded with sweet cherries, I had to find a galette recipe to use them. This is an adaptation of a recipe found at an online wine site. That recipe used a homemade crust, but I think that the part of the appeal of the galette for me, aside from satisfying my sweet tooth, is the ease of using the refrigerated ones.
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted almonds, toasted and cooled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet cherries, pitted (I used a mix of Bing and Ranier.)
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 375.
- On a piece of lightly floured parchment, roll out dough.
- Transfer dough and parchment to a baking sheet.
- Process 1/4 sugar, almonds, nutmeg, and salt in food processor until almonds are ground.
- Gently toss with the cherries.
- Spoon cherries over dough, leaving a 2" border.
- Dot with butter.
- Fold in edges, pressing gently.
- Whisk yolk and cream together; brush over edges of tart.
- Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Bake until golden, 40-45 minutes. (Original recipe stated 45-50 minutes, but I found that my oven was done sooner.).
Super easy and elegant dessert. Not too sweet, really lets the cherries be the star!