Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Frosts a 13 X 9- inch cake or fills and frosts (two) 8- or 9-inch cake layers or 24 cupcakes. Adjust to consistency you like by adding more liquid or more powdered sugar. If your powdered sugar is lumpy you might want to sift it before whipping it. If you use milk instead of the cherry juice you might want to add a few drops of red food coloring.
- 3 -4 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 -3 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice, measurement is approximate (or combo with milk)
- 2 tablespoons chopped maraschino cherries, drained
- Whip 3 cups powdered sugar and butter together.
- Stir in vanilla, cherry juice (or milk), and cherries.
- Beat until smooth and of spreading consistency.
- Add more sugar or liquid as necessary.
Very nice, easy, delicious. Such a welcome change! I used the teaspon of almond flavoring and the maraschino cherry juice as well as some cream to thin it to the consistency I wanted. Then I quartered the cherries and decorated the top of the cake with them. Thanks!
This frosting brings back memories of childhood. I remember my mother and I making frosting like this for cupcakes that I took to a bake sale at church. Thanks for posting and for the memories. Made for PAC Spring 2008.