Recipe by BlueHyacinth
My Grandmother used to make this for my mother when she was a child, and my Mom made it for us, alot. It was requested very often in our household. I now make it for my daughter (and my husband) on a regular basis, at least once every two weeks. It is the ultimate in comfort food. My daughter loves it reheated for breakfast. Hope you all enjoy this age old recipe!
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans tart red cherries
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond oil (optional)
- 3 cups Bisquick baking mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large dutch oven, combine tart cherries (including the juice), sugar, water, cinnamon and almond oil.
- Bring to a boil.
- In the meantime, mix together the Bisquick baking mix and milk.
- When cherries have come to a boil, drop dumplings into cherry mixture by tablespoonfuls until all the dumpling mixture is used.
- Lower heat to medium and cook uncovered for 10 minutes, then cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand 20 minutes, covered.