My Grandmother used to make this for my mother when she was a child, and my Mom made it for us, alot. It was requested very often in our household. I now make it for my daughter (and my husband) on a regular basis, at least once every two weeks. It is the ultimate in comfort food. My daughter loves it reheated for breakfast. Hope you all enjoy this age old recipe!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans tart red cherries
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon almond oil (optional)
- 1In a large dutch oven, combine tart cherries (including the juice), sugar, water, cinnamon and almond oil.
- 2Bring to a boil.
- 3In the meantime, mix together the Bisquick baking mix and milk.
- 4When cherries have come to a boil, drop dumplings into cherry mixture by tablespoonfuls until all the dumpling mixture is used.
- 5Lower heat to medium and cook uncovered for 10 minutes, then cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- 6Remove from heat and let stand 20 minutes, covered.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cherry Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (274 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 367.3
- Calories from Fat 77
- Total Fat 8.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 6.2 mg
- Sodium 597.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 38.9 g
- Protein 5.9 g