Recipe by Marsha D.
This is a version of my orange dreamsicle cake but with different ingredients. All my friends really like how the dreamsicle cake is so refreshing on a hot summers day that I thought a cherry one would give the same effect. You can use suger-free ingredients expect for the cake mix and milk which I use 2% all the time, if you want. I have made it and its yummy. Hope you enjoy as much as we do.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box white cake mix
- 3 egg whites (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 (3 ounce) boxjello cherry gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cherry extract
- 2 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- maraschino cherry
- 2 -4 drops red food coloring
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip
Directions See How It's Made
- Set out Cool whip to thaw.
- Prepare cake mix according to directions for a 9x13 pan.
- After the cake is done and you bring out of the oven. Poke holes though out the cake with a fork.
- Prepare cherry jello with 1 cup of boiling water and pour over the cake.
- Allow to cool in pan for 30 minutes or more.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together with hand mixer( or other) instant vanilla pudding, 2Tbs. maraschino cherry juice with 1 cup of milk.
- Stir in cherry and vanilla extracts.
- Mix well.
- Fold in Cool whip.
- Take a few cherries and chopped them up and add to the cool whip mixture.
- Drop 2-4 drops of red food coloring and stir well.
- Spread over the cake.
- Take 8 cherries and cut in half and place on top of cake, 2-3 inches apart.
- Chill for 2 to 3 hours or overnight.