Taken from Gourmet magazine. They recommend using the finest-quality chocolate you can. Cookies will keep in an airtight container at cool room temperature for five days.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened dutch cocoa
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened (1 1/2 sticks)
- 2 large eggs
- 3 1⁄2 ounces milk chocolate, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup dried sour cherries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees with racks in upper and lower thirds.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.
- Beat together butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, then add eggs one at a time, beating until combined well. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture, mixing until just combined. Add chocolate chunks, pecans, and cherries and mix until just incorporated.
- Drop two level TBLE of dough per cookie about two inches apart onto two ungreased large baking sheets. With dampened fingers, flatten cookies slightly.
- Bake, switching position of sheets halfway through baking, until puffed and set, 12-14 minutes. Transfer cookies to a rack to cool.