Prep 15 mins
Cook 17 mins
We make this lusciuos candy for holiday gifts. I clipped this from a magazine about 14 years ago.
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 (3 ounce) package cherry gelatin
- 3⁄4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grease an 11 1/2 x 7 1/2 in baking dish.
- Mix sugar, syrup, and water in a 2 quart glass measure.
- Microwave uncovered on high, stirring twice, 15- 17 minutes until sypur reaches hard ball stage (260 on instant- read thermometer or forms a hard ball when a small amount is dropped into very cold water).
- Meanwhile, beat egg whites in med-size bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted.
- Gradually add gelatin, beating until whites are stiff and glossy.
- While beating, constantly pour the hot syrup into the egg-white mixture and continue beating until mixture is very thick.
- Stir in walnuts and vanilla.
- Spread into prepared dish.
- Let stand at room temperature until completely cool and set, about 4 hours or overnight.
- Cut into 1 inch squares.
- Store in airtight container in a cool dry place.
darlene has this recipe but she drops on wax paper can be different jellos