2 hrs 18 mins
Sweet Diva's Note:
A want-to-try recipe from Best of Country Cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup water, warm (110 to 115 )
- 1 cup milk, warm (110 to 115 )
- 3/4 cup shortening, divided
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 -4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 1In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water.
- 2Add milk, 1/4 cup shortening, sugar, 2 eggs, salt, mace, extracts and 2 cups of flour; beat until smooth.
- 3Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 4Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- 5Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- 6Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 7Punch dough down.
- 8On a large floured surface, roll dough out to a 24-in. x 16-in. rectangle.
- 9Dot half of the dough with 1/4 cup of shortening; fold dough lengthwise. Fold the dough three times lengthwise, then two times widthwise, each time dotting with some of the remaining shortening.
- 10Place dough in a greased bowl; cover and let rise 20 minutes.
- 11On a floured surface, roll dough into a 16-in. x 15-inch rectangle.
- 12Cut into 8-in. x 3/4-in. strips, coil into a spiral shape, tucking end underneath the coil.
- 13Place in two greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-inch baking pans.
- 14Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 15Beat remaining egg.
- 16Make a depression in the center of each roll; brush with egg.
- 17Fill with 1 tablespoon of pie filling.
- 18Bake at 375 for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
- 19Cool on a wire rack.
- 20Combine the first three glaze ingredients; drizzle over rolls.
- 21Sprinkle with almonds.
- 22Yield: 40 rolls.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cherry Danishes
Serving Size: 1 (51 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 40
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 138.1
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 16.8 mg
- Sodium 73.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 2.3 g