Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
The Recipe -- adapted wholly from Sarah-Jane of SiliconeMoulds.com
- 70 g ground almonds
- 105 g icing sugar
- 35 g plain flour
- 92 g butter (I used salted)
- 92 g egg whites (I used 3 eggs)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 fresh whole cherries (with stems attached)
- Preheat the oven to 200 C.
- Brown the butter to a nut brown.
- Sift all dry ingredients into a medium bowl and mix well. (I used an electric mixer). Add in the egg whites and mix until evenly blended. Add the hot browned butter and mix it in quickly until the mixture is well mixed.
- Pour into prepared cupcake cases almost right to the top. ( I had a space of about 1/8 of an inch between the edge of the rim and the top of the batter). Then top with a whole cherry on each with its stem attached.
- Put in the oven and bake at 200 C for 10 minutes after which I reduced the temperature to 180 C and baked for about another 15-20 minutes until the cakes were risen, golden brown and cooked firmly in the centre. Test with a toothpick. If it comes out clean without anything gooey attached its done.
- (You may tent the cakes with a piece of foil if it gets brown too quickly while the centre is not cooked yet).