Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a wonderful cake, very moist bursting with cherry flavor. Although I have never tryed it as yet, I presume that blueberries could replace the cherries if desired.
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter, no substitutions,almost to room temperature,but not quite soft
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1⁄4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄3 cup butter, almost to room temperature
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup fresh cherries or 1 cup frozen cherries, thawed and drained well,cherries,pitted and chopped
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a rectangular baking dish, any size desired.
- To make the crumble: In a small bowl, stir together the first 5 ingredients.
- Add in the butter, using a pastry blender, mix well.
- Add in the the almonds and oats, mix well; set aside.
- For the cake: In a large bowl, sift together the first 5 ingredients.
- Add in the butter, using a pastry blender, mix until the ingredients resemble coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Add to the dry ingredients; fold until smooth (DO NOT beat with an electric mixer).
- Pour the batter into prepared buttered baking dish.
- Scatter the cherries over the top of the batter.
- Sprinkle with the prepared crumble.
- Bake until the cake has risen and turned golden (about 50 minutes).
- Remove from the oven; let cool for 25 minutes.
- Serve warm.