1 hr 5 mins
This is a wonderful cake, very moist bursting with cherry flavor. Although I have never tryed it as yet, I presume that blueberries could replace the cherries if desired.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter, no substitutions,almost to room temperature,but not quite soft
- 1/4 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup butter, almost to room temperature
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup fresh cherries or 1 cup frozen cherries, thawed and drained well,cherries,pitted and chopped
- 1Set oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Butter a rectangular baking dish, any size desired.
- 3To make the crumble: In a small bowl, stir together the first 5 ingredients.
- 4Add in the butter, using a pastry blender, mix well.
- 5Add in the the almonds and oats, mix well; set aside.
- 6For the cake: In a large bowl, sift together the first 5 ingredients.
- 7Add in the butter, using a pastry blender, mix until the ingredients resemble coarse crumbs.
- 8In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg, buttermilk and vanilla.
- 9Add to the dry ingredients; fold until smooth (DO NOT beat with an electric mixer).
- 10Pour the batter into prepared buttered baking dish.
- 11Scatter the cherries over the top of the batter.
- 12Sprinkle with the prepared crumble.
- 13Bake until the cake has risen and turned golden (about 50 minutes).
- 14Remove from the oven; let cool for 25 minutes.
- 15Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cherry Crumble Coffee Cake
Serving Size: 1 (114 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 327.3
- Calories from Fat 127
- Total Fat 14.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Cholesterol 55.3 mg
- Sodium 405.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 22.9 g
- Protein 5.8 g