1/1 Photo of Cherry Crostata
1 hr 20 mins
Kozmic Blues's Note:
I made this lovely, rustic, tart-like dessert with fresh cherries from a local farm here in RI. The nice thick, lemony crust coupled with the natural sweetness of the cherries was delicious. This recipe came from the magazine La Cucina Italiana. Prep time includes the dough's resting time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 cup butter, chilled and cut into small cubes
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1/4 cup cherry jam (can also use strawberry jam as well)
- 1 lb ripe sweet cherries, washed, pitted and cut in half
- powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)
- 1Prepare crostata dough: Sift 2 1/2 cups flour.
- 2Place flour, butter (minus 1 tablespoon), sugar, salt, and lemon zest in food processor.
- 3Pulse until mixture is moistened and crumbly.
- 4Add egg yolks and pulse until mixture just begins to form a ball of dough. (Crust can be mixed by hand if you do not have a food processor).
- 5Remove dough and flatten into a disk.
- 6Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 45 minutes.
- 7Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 8Unwrap dough and place it on a floured work surface.
- 9I have a little better luck rolling out the dough if I let it come back to room temperature a bit.
- 10Roll out crust into a circle about 12 inches in diameter.
- 11Transfer circle to a parchment lined baking sheet.
- 12Using a fork, prick holes in the crust about 5 or 6 times.
- 13In saucepan over low heat, warm cherry (or strawberry) jam with remaining 1 tbsp butter.
- 14Spread warm jam in a thin layer over the crust, leaving about 1 1/2 to 2 inches around the edges for a border.
- 15Spread fresh cherries over the jam.
- 16Fold the outer edges of the dough over the fruit, leaving about a 6-8 inch circle of the cherries showing in the middle.
- 17I turned the halved cherries that were visible in the middle skin side up to make the crostata look a bit more uniform.
- 18Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- 19Let cool.
- 20Dust with powdered sugar if desired, and serve.
Browse Our Top Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cherry Crostata
Serving Size: 1 (129 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 500.2
- Calories from Fat 225
- Total Fat 25.0 g
- Saturated Fat 15.2 g
- Cholesterol 131.8 mg
- Sodium 189.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 31.0 g
- Protein 5.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of