Recipe by LilPinkieJ
There are many crisp recipes on the site, but I didn't find one quite like this one. There are no cans of cherry pie filling here. Yes, you too can make a cherry crisp from scratch, using real cherries! You could use this filling for many other things like ice cream topping, or Toast-tites on the campfire! Yummy!
Top Review by Mommaofmany
We picked 25 pounds of Queen Anne and Bing cherries at an orchard yesterday. We enjoyed this recipe today. I tripled the recipe and baked it in a 9x13. I used the crisp topping (only doubled, not tripled) from Recipe #82925 since I didn't have any granola on hand. It was an excellent dessert that I will make again.
- 3 cups sweet cherries, pitted
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon almond extract
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup granola cereal
- 1⁄3 cup butter, cold
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, gently toss first 5 ingredients together. Place in a greased casserole dish or 8 inch square pan.
- In another bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients, using a pastry blender or fork. The mixture should resemble course crumbs. Spread mixture over pie filling. Bake for 30 minutes or until brown.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream. You can substitute canned cherry pie for the homemade cherry filling if you want to, but why?