Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
This is an elegant and delicious dessert. It takes time to prepare but it is so worth it.
- 1 cup sugar (could be cut to 1/2 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped toasted almond
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
Brandied Cherry Sauce
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 2 -4 tablespoons brandy
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- Combine sugar and flour, add milk and cook stirring until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Beat eggs and egg yolks slightly. Stir a small amount of the hot mixture into the beaten eggs then return all to the custard mixture. Cook and stir just until boiling. Remove from heat. Beat smooth and stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover with wax paper and let cool.
- Brandied Cherry Sauce:.
- Combine ingredients and heat over low heat. Keep warm.
- Beat eggs to blend. Add milk, melted butter, and flour. Beat till smooth. Lightly grease an 8 inch skillet. Heat the skillet. Remove from heat and pour in about 3 tablespoons of crepe batter. Swirl the pan to distribute the batter evenly into a thin smooth circle. Return skillet to heat and cook crepe on one side only. Flip cooked crepe onto a sheet of wax paper. From this point on always place 2 thicknesses of wax paper between each crepe to prevent form sticking and tearing.
- When ready to serve, fill crepes with custard and roll. Place seam side down in an oven proof baking dish. Pat a little butter on top of each crepe and warm in a 350 degree oven. Heat cherry mixture. Heat some additional brandy, flame and pour into cherry mixture. Pour some of the cherry mixture over each crepe to serve.