Recipe by Chef*Lee
Rich little dessert hors d' oeuvres, perfect for a larger party!! Just cut the recipe in half for a small get-together!! I created this recipe for RSC Contest #12
Top Review by Maggiebells
These are so good! Taste like French pastry. The creme mixture is just right for a creme puff and the cherry surprise is lovely! I took these to our church Valentine's party and we loved them!!
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour (or whole wheat pastry flour)
- 1 -17 1⁄3 ounce phyllo puff pastry sheet (Pepperidge Farm 2-pack 17.3oz/1.1 lbs)
- 1 (16 ounce) bagfrozen pitted cherries, thawed (dark sweet cherries are best)
- 1⁄2 pint heavy whipping cream, prepared (whipped)
- 1 (8 ounce) container mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon brewed espresso, cooled (or strong brewed black coffee)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup pecan pieces, divided (little chips)
- 1⁄4 cup graham cracker, crushed into crumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- NOTE: You will need a non-stick mini muffin pan.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spread a little of the flour onto some wax paper and unfold one of the puff pastry sheets onto it. Roll the dough with a floured rolling pin until it is 12X12 inches.
- Using a knife, cut the pastry dough into 24 squares. Repeat this process with the other sheet of puff pastry for a total of 48 squares.
- Shape a square of puff pastry into each muffin tin slot and then place a cherry into the bottom of each. Careful to not let any puff pastry square touch another and keep the tops open for filling.
- In a large bowl, using electric beaters; whip the heavy whipping cream and then add the mascarpone cheese in chunks and whip to blend completely.
- In a little bowl; mix the strong coffee with the cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar until it forms a paste. Add to the mascarpone mix and blend well.
- With a spoon, stir in 1/4 cup pecan chips reserving the other 1/4 cup for garnish. Stir in the graham cracker crumbs. Place mascarpone mix in the fridge until ready to use.
- Bake the puff pastry squares with cherries for 13 minutes or until golden brown.
- Use a fork to gently remove puff pastry wontons from the muffin pan to a serving plate. (they will come right out, the fork is to keep from burning your fingers).
- Allow the puff pastry wontons to cool for 10 minutes.
- Place a heaping teaspoon of the mascarpone filling over each cherry. Sprinkle each wonton with a bit of the reserved pecan bits then serve!