Prep 12 mins
Cook 12 mins
This recipe was posted at my grocery store in the bulk section next to the dried fruit, and its fabulous! The recipe says serve with sweet cream butter or fromage blanc, but they're great plain.
- 3⁄4 cup red sour dried cherries, pitted
- boiling water
- 2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon, zest of
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Farenheit.
- Soak dried cherries in boiling water for at least 5 minutes (I chop each cherry in half first), drain and pat dry.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a medium bowl, mix well with a fork.
- Add cherries and lemon zest, mix, then stir in cream until dough starts to mass in the center of bowl.
- Divide in half, and transfer each half to a floured board, and lightly knead 3-4 tiumes.
- Pat in to a circle at least 1 inch thick, and cut each loaf into six wedges.
- Place wedges on ungreased cookie sheet, and brush with butter.
- Bake for 12 minutes.