Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Light and delicious, this tasty treat is from the Mississippi Valley chapter of the United States Regional cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Preparation time is approximate and cooking time is chilling time.
- 1 graham cracker crust (either storebought or your own recipe)
- 1 tablespoon gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup water, cold
- 2 cups canned sour cherries, pitted (reserve 3/4 cup cherry juice)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream, whipped
- Soak gelatin in cold water for five minutes.
- Heat cheries with sugar and reserved juice.
- Add salt and softened gelatin; mix well to dissolve gelatin.
- Add lemon juice and chill.
- When mixture begins to thicken, fold in whipped cream.
- Pour into piecrust.
- Chill in refrigerator for one hour or until filling is firm enough to cut.