1/3 Photos of Cherry Cranberry Pie
4 hrs 50 mins
From Sugar Duchess, prep time includes dough chill time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt. Cut the butter into the flour until pieces are about the size of a large pea. Add the cold water one tablespoon at a time, tossing the mixture with a fork until the dough is shaggy and holds together, without being soggy. Form the dough into two discs, one slightly larger than the other. Wrap the discs tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3-4 hours or overnight. (At this point the discs can stay in the fridge for up to three days if you need to do this part ahead.).
- 2Take the larger disc out of the fridge and let it sit at room temperature for 10 minutes. Roll the dough, on a lightly-floured surface, into a 12-inch circle. Fold it into thirds horizontally, then into thirds vertically. Re-wrap in plastic wrap and put it back into the fridge for 30-60 minutes. Repeat this step with the smaller disc.
- 3While the dough is chilling, make the pie filling. Drain the cherries, reserving 1 cup of the liquid. In a large saucepan combine 3/4 cup of the sugar, and the cornstarch. Stir in the reserved cherry liquid. Cook and stir over medium heat until it’s thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir constantly for one minute after that. Remove from heat, and stir in the remaining sugar, almond extract, cherries, and cranberries. Set aside and allow to cool slightly.
- 4Meanwhile, take the larger disc of pastry dough and roll it out on a lightly floured surface until it is about 12 inches in diameter. Transfer to a pie pan and trim the edges 1 inch from the edge of the pan. Place the pan with the dough in the fridge, and roll out the other disc of dough into a 12-inch square. Cut it into strips about 1/2- to 3/4-inch wide. Remove the pie pan from the fridge and sprinkle 1 tablespoon of flour evenly onto the bottom crust. Spoon the cherry filling inches.
- 5Preheat the oven to 400°F Arrange the pastry strips into a lattice design over the top of the filling, and “glue” the strips to the bottom crust with a tiny amount of cold water. Trim off the excess, and roll the edges of the bottom crust up over the top, sealing it with just a bit of cold water. Flute the edges. Place the pie in the freezer for about 10 minutes. Then lightly brush the crust with milk, and sprinkle sugar over the top. Cover the edges of the pie with foil.
- 6Bake for about 20 minutes at 400 F, then reduce the temperature to 375 F and bake for an additional 25-30 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling. (Note: To keep the edges from burning, cover them with foil about halfway through baking time, or as soon as they have reached a desirable level of golden-ness.).
- 7Cool the pie on a wire rack before cutting and serving.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cherry Cranberry Pie
Serving Size: 1 (219 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 417.4
- Calories from Fat 142
- Total Fat 15.8 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 40.6 mg
- Sodium 363.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 34.2 g
- Protein 4.4 g